Choosing to adopt a child is one of the most courageous and fulfilling aspects of a new parent’s life. Unfortunately, this selfless act doesn’t make the legal process any less difficult. There are countless hoops to jump through on the way to achieving your new family.
At its core, adoption is a legal process that transfers parental rights from the birth parents to the adoptive parents. As a matter of state law, this process can vary depending on what state you currently reside. That’s why you should always rely on the help of an experienced family attorney in Tennessee when you begin the adoption process.
When you’re ready to start adopting your child, allow the Law Office of Samuel B. Tipton to help. Schedule a free consultation with our team today!
Adoption in Tennessee
Before you find an adoption agency in Tennessee, you must ensure that you meet the qualifications to become a new parent. There are a few basic requirements you need to meet, including:
- Age: You must be at least 21 years old to apply for adoption.
- Residence: To begin the adoption process in Tennessee, you must be a current resident of the state.
- PATH Training: You must also complete the “Parents as Tender Healers” training
- Home: You will also have to undergo a home study. This is when a social worker will assess your home life and collect important documentation regarding background checks, birth certificates, and marital licenses.
- Finances: You must be financially secure to take on the responsibilities of raising a child.
If you need help navigating these important aspects of the adoption process, we have your back. Whether you’re looking to go through the foster system or perform an adoption outright, we will help you find the path that works best for you.
At the Law Office of Samuel B. Tipton, we guide you through the complex legal process to accomplish a binding legal adoption. Set up a consultation with the adoption attorney Knoxville trusts, share your story, and come up with a plan of action to make your forever family a reality! No matter what your story is, we are here for you during the adoption process.